Thursday 13 March 2014

Triggers

Sometimes it's necessary to get wrapped up and feel sorry for yourself, but only for 1 day. Allow yourself feel how unfair it is to be in pain all the time. Allow yourself to feel sorry for yourself that your social life is all but gone, and lets not forget a very important point. When you have Trigeminal Neuralgia, You cannot bear anyone touching you, especially on the face. I found this especially difficult. Simple everyday tasks like brushing teeth, applying moisturiser and even putting on make-up can set off an attack. I remember a particularly vicious attack not too long ago. I was in the hair dressers, and my hair was being washed. I had to bite my tongue to stop from crying out. In one sense I could have explained to them about my condition, but it's not an easy thing to explain. Plus I don't want people looking at me differently, and pity pisses me off.

The cold weather is also a trigger for me, and wind is torturous. I used to love standing in the wind, especially before a storm. Now, that's impossible. Scarves and hats are a must, and if I could get away with wearing a balaclava I would. I also have to be careful of draughts.

Another trigger is eating and drinking. Eating an apple is difficult for example. Also for me drinking anything very cold triggers an attack. Hot drinks don't usually bother me. Everyone is different though, and some of my triggers may not apply to other Trigeminal Neuralgia sufferers.


Most of the time though, I don't need triggers. The attacks come all by themselves. An attack is a jolt of severe pain that usually lasts for minutes at a time. I can do my best to avoid these triggers, but it's impossible to avoid them all. I'm hopeful that there will be a cure someday. I really would not be too keen on surgery, although some procedures are fairly simple and straight forward. As I am recently diagnosed, my doctors want to try medication first, and if that fails, other options are available. 

No comments:

Post a Comment