Wednesday 3 September 2014

Limitations and Lethargy

My life has changed so much since my diagnosis. Atypical Trigeminal Neuralgia has leached the energy from my system. I am 28 years old and I need to nap a few times a day. Seriously, I am only 28! 

I am so tired all the time, and there are some nights that I get a few hours of much needed sleep, but the way I feel now, I could sleep for a week straight. My dose of Amytriptyline has been increased so I am taking 100mg at night. This is effective mostly. There are nights that I wake up and I want to scream. 

It feels like Freddy Krueger has torn open my face and attached jump leads to every nerve. Showing that I am in pain is exhausting, but pretending that I am ok is completely draining. 

Is it the medications that are causing this lethargy? Is it the fact that I have constant extremely bad facial pain? Is it a combination of the two?

I never, ever would take a nap during the day. Even when I was younger and I had a raging hangover, I would still get out of bed and do something constructive with my day. Sometimes when I was quite ill I would have to stay in bed, but I would usually watch old movies all day, feel sorry for myself, but I wouldn't nap.

Napping makes me feel like a child, but it is something that is necessary to function. 

I have realised that there are limitations now, I can't do everything that I used to do and making peace with that is difficult. I have to be kind to myself, and everyone that has Trigeminal Neuralgia or any other chronic pain conditions needs to do the same. 

No comments:

Post a Comment